What is the difference between the domain name and web hosting?
There is a change in trends every year and in every arena. Take from the lifestyle to education. In fact, in the era of digitalization, having a website for your own niche brings new surprises.
As a newbie, do you know what makes a great website? What are the things required to make a website? To have a website, first, you need to have a domain name and web hosting. But do you know what these terms mean? Do they have any differences or similarities?
It’s important to have a crystal clear knowledge about the domain name and a website. Every year there are enhancements and restyling for the websites. In order to stand out make a website. You’ll need to have an understanding of both these daunting terms.
A website is an integral part of the businesses in this ultra-tech world. It has reached the fields like banking, real estate, healthcare, and what not. You name the firm in an industry and they have the website. One main word that is constantly correlated with a website is a domain name. In this article, we will look at these in detail.
Domain name- what it means?
A domain name is a must-have name that businesses or individuals register to claim their personal space on the global network, i.e, internet. A registered domain name can be employed as a name for your customized website.
In this globalized world, where policies and standards keep updating. A domain name is regulated by the procedures and rules of DNS. Name registered under DNS is a domain name is a panacea. We have to notice one thing here, domain name and URL is different from each other.
Registering a Domain name
Domain names are governed by internet corporation for assigned names and numbers, abbreviated as ICANN. The fee depends on the selection of the registrar.
It is noteworthy that web hosting is different from the domain name. You can register your name without a web hosting.
Method for registering a domain
- Choosing the appropriate domain name registrar or web hosting provider is very vital. Check their policies first. ICANN has a catalogue of reputable registrars.
- Find the domain name for your niche. There should be availability checker with your chosen registrar. The benefit of having an availability checker is that it gives suggestions if the domain name is already taken.
- Fill out the details accordingly. Decide whether it should be public or private.
- Pay the fees. The cost of the domain names depends on the registrar or web host you choose. After payment, you can either use it immediately or park till the launch date.
- Link the website to the domain name
- Park the domain name temporarily till you have a website. Parking domain names mean reserving the website address for yourself.
Benefits of having a registered domain
- It adds credibility. Having a domain name is letting your potential visitors what the business is all about
- Introduces your business and makes it easy to find
- Have a professional email address by registering your name
Web hosting provides individuals and organizations to launch a web page or website on the internet. Through this, potential customers can know the information and view your web page on the internet. When these customers want to see the website, all they have to do is type your domain name on the browser. Websites are stored or hosted on servers. Most hosting providers or companies claim that you own the domain name to host. If you don’t have one, then you have to purchase it.
Expectations from the hosting companies
- Have a domain name handy, with the domain name and email account features create a professional domain email accounts. for instance, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use FTP access that uploads your files from local computer to web servers. If there are any HTML files, transfer them through FTP. This allows your website to have access via the internet
- Have a perfect WordPress. Through this tool, you can create your website online. It is a fierce website and blogging CMS. Provides a convenient way of using, creating, and managing website. The simple requirements are MYSQL, PHP etc
Advantages of having a web hosting
- It provides 365/24/7 in-house technician services so that the website is always up
- Provides a hassle-free experience for your businesses and focus their effort and time on your niche
Relation and differences b/w domain name and web hosting
- Take an example to think of how they are different. If the domain’s name is the address of your house. Web hosting is the actual building of the house which the address point to.
- If people types in that online address, it directs to the IP address that has your website. An IP address can be represented with the numbers. For instance, 22.214.171.124, this address steers to the location on the server that carries your website files. The reason for having domain names instead of IP addresses is its ease of remembering.
- They are various domain names such as .com, .in, .edu, .net, .org, .mil and .gov. Choose the one depending on the type of industry you are in. In a similar way, there are different web hosting such as VPS, reseller, shared, eCommerce, blog, and WordPress. In terms of affordability and users needs WordPress hosting can be considered ideal
One of the main reason, why newbies get confused is because services of web hosting and domain names are often availed with the same provider. This is a very common doubt for anyone who is planning to launch their own website. Rightly said, domain names and web hosting go hand in hand. They are like burger and fries, one barely survives without the other. But as listed above there are few differences exists between them.